When it comes to health and nutrition, vegetables are the healthiest option. Vegetables offer a wide range of nutrients and vitamins to promote a healthier lifestyle. Here are some delicious alternatives to add more vegetables into your diet without compromising flavor.
ROASTED SQUASH AND PUMPKIN SEEDS MOLE BOWL
It is a delicious meal for your guests, and serves as a power pack dinner loaded with proteins and fiber.
This vegetarian squash bowl is so hearty and full of flavor. (Serves 4)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. raw shelled pumpkin seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 jalapeno chili, sliced
- 3/4 c. vegetable stock
- 1/2 c. coconut milk
- 1/2 c. parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c. packed cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
(About 440 calories)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange on baking sheet; roast 35 min or until squash is tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, add pumpkin seeds, cumin seed and oregano on medium 3 minutes or until fragrant, stirring. Remove from heat; set aside. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium. Add onion, tomatillos, garlic and jalapeno; cook 5 minutes or until slightly browned. Place vegetables, pumpkin seeds and spice mixture in blender or food processor. Pulse a few times; then add stock, coconut milk, parsley, cilantro, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Process until smooth. Makes 3 cups.
3. Return mixture to skillet; simmer on medium, 15 or until slightly thickened. Divide rice and squash among 4 bowls; add sauce. Serve remaining sauce on the side. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
CREAMY VEGAN LINGUINE WITH WILD MUSHROOMS
You can serve your guests with this delicious entirely vegan pasta enriched with essential nutrients. (Serves 6)
- 1 lb. linguine or fettuccine
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. nutritional yeast
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on an angle
- (About 430 calories)
1. Cook linguine as label directs, reserving 3/4 cups pasta cooking water before draining. Return drained linguine to pot.
2. Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and tender, stirring. Transfer to pot with cooked, drained linguine along with nutritional yeast, reserved cooking water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper. Toss until well combined. Garnish with green onions.
THREE BEAN VEGETARIAN CHILLI
It contains black beans, pink beans, and edamame along with broth. The platter is fully loaded with proteins, fibers, and micronutrients that will entertain your taste buds. (Serves 4)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1. Preheat oven.
2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 20 minutes or until blackened. Place pepper halves in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and chop peppers.
3. Over medium-low heat, add oil and onion; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers, broth, squash, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; simmer 25 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Add with green onions.